Friday, January 20, 2006

GOP doesn't even bother to try and remember their lies; they just create new ones.

GOP tries to distort truth

What a perfect example of a Fox-viewing, Rush Limbaugh-adoring Idahoan who has swallowed the party line from hell. Darrell Hampton ignores documented GOP media manipulation scandals while boldly stating that Democrats constitute half of those involved in Abramoff corruption. Did he hear that on the "liberal" network news? Probably, but no Democrat received money from any Indian tribe involved in Abramoff's exchange of money for favors.

As for his statements regarding the Swift Boat slime and GWB's desertion, journalist David Corn said it well in an article covering Swift Boat lies: "Just where do the Republicans think they are taking us? If they succeed in destroying the concept of truth and the shame of being a liar, how will our society differ from the great tyrannies of the 20th century?"

But rather than interrupt Hampton's daydream of Ann Coulter in thigh-high jackboots, spiked heel hovering over the jugular of some wimpy Democrat while she spews filth, I will review some recent White House-related activity that you won't see in the "liberal media."

Buried in the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act, signed Jan. 5 by GWB and punishable by fines and two years in prison, is a section that prohibits sending annoying Web or e-mail messages unless you disclose your true identity. A federal crime.

Even though "we do not torture," when GWB signed the bill containing McCain's amendment to stop torture, he added his favorite little caveat, "Unless I say otherwise." He has used it some *500 times since taking office. See a pattern here?

Two British MP's have been indicted for leaking secrets; namely the report of the Blair-Bush meeting wherein Blair talked Bush out of bombing al-Jazeera.

James Moore, co-author of "Bush's Brain," discovered he was on the Department of Homeland Security's no fly list a year ago. He said: "I have been on the No Fly Watch List for a year. I will never be told the official reason ... You cannot sue to get the information. Nothing I have done has moved me any closer to getting off the list. There were 35,000 Americans in that database last year. According to a European government that screens hundreds of thousands of American travelers every year, the list they have been given to work from has since grown to 80,000."

How many of that 80,000 criticized our leader?

*Subsequent reports note use of 100.

Gene New
Gooding


A response to the above response is below, published 2/5/06. The guy's got a sense of humor!

I recognize the "bad for the health" comment, having redeveloped an old ulcer, but I think my fear would be greater if not attempting to get the word out.

Founding daughter


A few light-hearted responses to letter
By DARRELL HAMPTON
Twin Falls

Regarding letter from Gene New on Jan. 20:

I want to apologize for taking so long to reply to your letter. The paper thought that my letter was too muted and wanted me to start a Times-News Jerry Springer happening. Just kidding. Sorry, just not my style.

I do want to thank you for the laugh about Ann Coulter. The best scenario would be for her and Hillary to engage in a costume showdown and charge big bucks for admission. It would be a huge fundraiser for both parties. I chuckle every time I think about it.

I will respond to one item in your letter. I hope you noticed the Associated Press article on the same day as your letter, which identified Harry Reid as a recipient of Indian tribe money. All of the items you noted, I have read about but will not respond to. I believe I have caused you enough angst already.

I do not believe political debate should be taken quite so seriously. Bad for the health.

Again, I want to thank you for a good laugh. Have a nice day.

No comments: